from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of startle.
- adj. Likely to startle; surprising; shocking.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- That startles or that excites sudden surprise, apprehension, fear, or like emotion; that rouses or suddenly and forcibly attracts attention: as, startling news; a startling discovery.
- Easily startled or alarmed; skittish; shying.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. so remarkably different or sudden as to cause momentary shock or alarm
Sorry, no etymologies found.