from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of surprise.
- n. The action of the verb to surprise.
- adj. That is or are a surprise.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Exciting surprise; extraordinary; of a nature to excite wonder and astonishment
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Exciting surprise; extraordinary; astonishing; of a nature to call out wonder or admiration: as, surprising bravery; a surprising escape.
- Synonyms Strange, Curious, etc. See wonderful.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. causing surprise or wonder or amazement
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The term "surprising" has lots of connotations, but...
The word "surprising," used to describe the size of that month's price jump, recurs with surprising frequency.
The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, told reporters that U.S. and NATO forces are making what he called surprising progress in traditional Taliban strongholds in southern Afghanistan.
CLANCY: It comes as NATO is considering sending more troops to Afghanistan after a top commander there said the Taliban is showing what he called a surprising level of resistance.
He said the statement contained what he described as surprising information.
The statement contained what he described as surprising facts.
Dr. Gilbert attributed the frequency, which she called surprising, to the fact that the hospital served an "amazingly international cross section of women of color."
In what he called a surprising move, School Board member Julie Lucas announced her resignation.
LOS ANGELES, Dec. 21 (UPI) -- A U.S. researcher, in what he calls a surprising finding, says females were more intense about online games.
A contributing editor of the magazine, David Roberts, encountered what he called a surprising backlash and even threats after writing the story last spring, but not on scientific grounds.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.