from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sometimes limited popular revolt against a constituted government or its policies; a rebellion.
- n. The act or an instance of rising or rising up.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a popular revolt that attempts to overthrow a government or its policies; an insurgency or insurrection
- v. Present participle of uprise.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Act of rising; also, a steep place; an ascent.
- n. An insurrection; a popular revolt.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of rising up, as from below the horizon, from a bed or seat, or from the grave.
- n. Ascent; acclivity; rising.
- n. A riot; an emeute; a rebellion; insurrection; popular revolt.
- n. The ceremonies connected with the recovery and reappearance in society of a lady of rank after the birth of a child. Compare lying-down.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. organized opposition to authority; a conflict in which one faction tries to wrest control from another
Sorry, no etymologies found.