American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Causing wonder or astonishment.
- adj. Miraculous; supernatural.
- adj. Of the highest or best kind or quality; first-rate: has a marvelous collection of rare books.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of wonderful appearance, character, or quality; surpassing experience or conception; exciting astonishment or incredulity.
- Wonderfully; surprisingly.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Exciting wonder or surprise; astonishing; wonderful.
- adj. Partaking of the character of miracle, or supernatural power; incredible; so improbable as to defy belief.
- adj. being or having the character of a miracle
- adj. too improbable to admit of belief
- adj. extraordinarily good or great ; used especially as intensifiers
“Can't you just picture his tight body in marvelous 3D!”
“Spooky and I fell asleep talking about how marvelous is Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, especially the Hatter and the March Hare, the Bandersnatch and the battle with the Jabberwocky.”
“Sexing the Cherry takes us on its own journey to the outer limits of possibility, to remind us that the marvelous is only ever a brief flexing of the imagination away, and that we all have secret lives we need to explore and experience fully to be at peace.”
“The ancient Greek philosophers coined a marvelous phrase, "Pan Metron Ariston" -- everything in moderation.”
“Seasons change in marvelous, muted but vibrant colors and after many adventures, real and imagined, both robot and dog find their own path.”
“SF can illuminate the problem of discrimination in marvelous ways.”
“The metal walkways glowed with the soft green light of the thousands of tanks that hung suspended on giant hooks, linked to each other in marvelous chains.”
“: - D The lions and tigers are at Con la Rojas in marvelous Morelia!”
“Marshall said that "Nine" is dedicated to the late British film director Anthony Minghella, who he called a marvelous scriptwriter and an inspiration.”
“From now on, Ty Inc. says the dolls will be known as marvelous Maria and sweet Sydney.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘marvelous’.
List of most of the words I've learned
words to reference while writing something
If I've seen it, heard it, or marvelled at it, I'll stick it here.
Words that mean "cool" around the world and through the ages.
In response to Wilfred J. Funk's "ten most beautiful words in the English language" list of 1932.
Adjectives used in actual (non-taxonomic) bird names, past and present.
This video comes straight from the Uncanny Valley with a tribute to the 13th letter of the alphabet.
These are a few of the words I like best.
(s)mei- and other wry smiles
words or expressions which, when used with and in the sense of "it's _____" or "it's a _____" mean simply good. Or better :-)
Tunie #2. Is the song about love, or language? Or a love of language?
Too Marvelous for Words
by Johnny Mercer
I search for phrases
To sing your praises
Looking for tweets for marvelous.