American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Conspicuously unconventional; bizarre. See Synonyms at strange.
- adj. Strikingly unfamiliar.
- adj. Located far from civilized areas.
- adj. Archaic Of foreign origin; not native.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or belonging to a foreign country; foreign; not native.
- Strange; unfamiliar; odd; uncouth; barbarous; bizarre.
- Out of the way; remote from society; secluded.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. archaic Foreign; not native.
- adj. Deviating conspicuously from common practice; strange; freakish; bizarre; rude; barbarous; uncouth; clownish; ; -- usually used in a negative sense.
- adj. conspicuously or grossly unconventional or unusual
- Old English utlendisc, from ūtland ("foreign land, land abroad") (English outland). Sense of “bizarre” from 1590s. Surface analysis outland + -ish. (Wiktionary)
“There is actually a lot of hard-core science to support what you call outlandish conclusions (black holes, wormholes, dark matter, dark energy, big bang, parallel universes, etc.)”
“We've all paid for the clean up already hundreds of times over. first in outlandish profits to oil companies and now with the health risks and devastating short and long term immeasurable effects on the environment.”
“Of comfortable fortune, with no need to do anything but take his comfort, he elected to travel about the world in outlandish and most uncomfortable ways.”
“In his weekend radio address, Obama sought to dispel what he called the outlandish rumors that reform will promote euthanasia, cut Medicaid or bring about a government takeover of health care.”
“Good Luck Mr. President – this is why we elected you and it is what we expect – Health Care Reform with a public option or else the insurance companies will continue to rob people, deny coverage and rake in outlandish profits -”
“The most outlandish is a get-up Mr. Laurin wears to play golf.”
“* Massive bank bailouts, with little or no effort to restrain outlandish pay and bonuses;”
“Has she threatened to do something outlandish from the bench?”
“He imagined the characters less as "Mad Max" - ian freaks outfitted in outlandish biker wear, he added, than as homeless people.”
“Many of the foreigners living on the island enter the parade in outlandish costumes.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘outlandish’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of terms for land, landholdings, or words that contain the string -land-.
Hard words level 1
situated at; outside; going away; outward
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
grabbable, retuiteando, leaving, fantastic, absolutely, kurwa, hella, ridic, underpass, hate, interlude, plush and 2369 more...
My list of words.
Words of 10 letters, all different, can be used for encrypting, pretty securely, such things as PINs and passwords. The fly in the ointment, for me, in keeping track of them is I've got to write '...
Looking for tweets for outlandish.