from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Distant in space, time, or nature; remote.
- adj. Separated in relationship by a given degree of descent: A first cousin's child is one's first cousin once removed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Separated in time, space, or degree.
- adj. Of a different generation, older or younger
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of remove.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Changed in place.
- adj. Dismissed from office.
- adj. Distant in location; remote.
- adj. Distant by degrees in relationship.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Remote; separate from others; specifically, noting a grade of distance in relationship and the like: as, “a lie seven times removed,”
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. separate or apart in time
- adj. separated in relationship by a given degree of descent
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Moreover, she learned that her father and mother anxiously expected her at that house to which they had removed, but did not reveal that he had _been removed_ in the care of two bailiffs, and the house named was but a resting place in his transit to jail.
"You wish it removed -- _just as other obstacles have been removed_.
"It may be that there should be a right to have your name removed from a social network where you volunteered it in the first place," says Richard Thomas , a former British data-privacy commissioner, who is now a strategy adviser to international law firm Hunton & Williams LLP.
He tried to have his name removed from the ballot but received 10,638 votes on the party's ballot line, in what turned out to be a close contest.
My name removed from my greatest work—I am appalled!
Accused Elizabeth Smart kidnapper Brian David Mitchell was once again removed from a federal courtroom Friday.
Ford would eventually have his name removed from alliance stationery, but seems to have maintained a loose association, if only through old friends Ward Bond and John Wayne.
Peter and Vandy is another low-budget two-hander that explores the ups and downs of a modern relationship using jump cuts, nonlinear plot mechanics and elliptical storytelling techniques that only succeed in keeping the couple in the title removed, at an annoying distance, from audience interest.
For example, an animal with its brain removed is still capable of going through the motions of walking, as anybody who has seen a chicken with its head cut off can attest.
Will Tanous, acknowledges that the label removed the album from iTunes.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.