American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Cool or cold enough to cause shivering. See Synonyms at cold.
- adj. Seized with or feeling cold; shivering.
- adj. Distant and cool; unfriendly: a chilly look.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Experiencing the sensation of chilliness; chilled.
- Producing the sensation of cold; chilling; especially, so cold as to produce the sensation of shivering.
- Cold; chill.
- Wanting zeal, animation, or heartiness; indifferent; cold; frigid: as, a chilly reception.
- In a chill or chilly manner; coldly; with coldness.
- n. See chilli.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Moderately cold; cold and raw or damp so as to cause shivering; causing or feeling a disagreeable sensation of cold, or a shivering.
- n. very hot and finely tapering pepper of special pungency
- adj. not characterized by emotion
- adj. lacking warmth of feeling
- adj. appreciably or disagreeably cold
- chill + -y (Wiktionary)
“The temperature which, at this time of the year, is usually warm and genial, continued to be what they called chilly, though I found it agreeable enough, and the showy trees, called the _Pride of India_, which are planted all over the city, and are generally in bloom at this season, were still leafless.”
“What is the most striking features is obviously the fireplace on the outside, which seems to be keeping you cool as you hang out in chilly winter nights in the little patio area!”
“You both live in chilly places, Ann in Minneapolis and Liv in Norway.”
“We don't really do sandwiches except grilled cheese, which won't work, so I don't know if she'll be cool with that or not, and a two-hour nature walk in chilly weather seems like not the day to test that.”
“There is a linkage between blue eyes, blond hair and fair skin, which is supposedly of adaptive advantage in chilly northern latitudes; there also seems to be some kind of link with adult lactose tolerance.”
“Jensen and myself, discussing this film and pornography at Augsburg College in chilly MN.”
“→ Base Layers The right underlayers and warm socks are essential, as your legs and feet can freeze when they're dangling in chilly water for hours, even in summer.”
“But I'm glad I found it even while living now in chilly Boston.”
“All it took was a weekend in chilly Cleveland and a date with the bumbling Browns for Houston to have a road trip to remember.”
“Normally solid in chilly weather, Brady took a while to adjust to the conditions.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘chilly’.
What a -Y does to an otherwise common, dull word
Got this idea from a Bizarro Cartoon. Let's find some others!
These are some words I didn't know when I read and now I want to know!
she's such a joy.
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
Words having the letters in alphabetical order. Only words of six or more letters are listed here.
For reverse alphabetical order see Retroliterals. For words and phrases with the vowels in a...
Looking for tweets for chilly.