from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Displaying no hospitality; unfriendly.
- adj. Unfavorable to life or growth; hostile: the barren, inhospitable desert.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not inclined to hospitality; unfriendly,
- adj. Not offering shelter; barren or forbidding.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not hospitable; not disposed to show hospitality to strangers or guests.
- adj. Affording no shelter or sustenance; barren; desert; bleak; cheerless; wild.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not hospitable; indisposed to exercise hospitality; unfavorable or inimical to visitors; not affording accommodation or shelter: as, an inhospitable tribe; inhospitable wilds.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not hospitable
- adj. unfavorable to life or growth
If he wins, they say, it will be because he has run tough races before in inhospitable territory.
Disks encircling hypergiant stars may spawn planets in inhospitable environment
The dishonour of being inhospitable is of far less import than the dishonour of being "detestable" in the eyes of God.
Evidence of methane-producing organisms can be found in inhospitable soil environments much like those found on the surface of Mars, according to experiments undertaken by scientists and students from USC.
The soil, though at first it might have been, called inhospitable, showed itself productive.
Clearly, among the many implications of the awarding of yet another Pentagon contract to the Lincoln Group, this fall, is that they are being funded, as their Web site advertises, to continue their work around the world in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and any other locations that some might consider "inhospitable," but that they prefer to call "challenging."
This satisfies the typical hacker need for compact and independent programs that have to work in "inhospitable" environments; rootkits and backdoors seem to be interesting applications.
A number of countries delayed the arrival of their competitors with the athletes' village being described as "inhospitable" just last week.
The Digital Home Video: Is the Wii 'inhospitable' for third-parties?
'inhospitable' because of varying portrayals which are "unfortunate and untrue ... there are many good things happening in Africa".
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.