from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not producing offspring.
- adj. Incapable of producing offspring.
- adj. Lacking vegetation, especially useful vegetation.
- adj. Unproductive of results or gains; unprofitable: barren efforts. See Synonyms at futile.
- adj. Devoid of something specified: writing barren of insight. See Synonyms at empty.
- adj. Lacking in liveliness or interest.
- n. A tract of unproductive land, often with a scrubby growth of trees. Often used in the plural.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. unable to bear children; sterile
- adj. of poor fertility, infertile
- adj. bleak
- adj. not productive
- n. An area of low fertility and habitation, a desolate place.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Incapable of producing offspring; producing no young; sterile; -- said of women and female animals.
- adj. Not producing vegetation, or useful vegetation; sterile.
- adj. Unproductive; fruitless; unprofitable; empty.
- adj. Mentally dull; stupid.
- n. A tract of barren land.
- n. Elevated lands or plains on which grow small trees, but not timber. They are not necessarily sterile, and are often fertile.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Incapable of producing or that does not produce its kind: applied to animals and plants.
- In particular— Sterile; castrated: said of male animals.
- Without fruit or seed: said of trees or plants.
- Bearing no children; childless; without issue: said of a woman.
- Not bearing or pregnant at the usual season: said of female animals: as, barren heifers.
- Producing little or no vegetation; unproductive; unfruitful; sterile: applied to land.
- In mining, unproductive; unprofitable: applied to rocks.
- Void of vital germs.
- Mentally unproductive; unresponsive; dull; stupid.
- Devoid; lacking; wanting: with of: as, a hill barren of trees; a mind barren of ideas.
- Not producing or leading to anything; profitless; fruitless: as, barren tears; a barren attachment.
- Destitute of interest or attraction; unsuggestive; uninstructive; bald; bare: as, a barren list of names.
- n. A tract or region of more or less unproductive land, partly or entirely treeless.
- To render barren or unproductive.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. completely wanting or lacking
- adj. not bearing offspring
- n. an uninhabited wilderness that is worthless for cultivation
- adj. providing no shelter or sustenance
Middle English barreine, from Old French brahaigne, perhaps of Germanic origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French baraigne ("sterile, barren"). (Wiktionary)