from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Land that is desolate, barren, or ravaged.
- n. A place, era, or aspect of life considered as lacking in spiritual, aesthetic, or other humanizing qualities; a vacuum: a cultural wasteland.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A region with no remaining resources; a desert.
- n. Any barren or uninteresting place.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an uninhabited wilderness that is worthless for cultivation
waste + land (Wiktionary)