from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of the open grazing areas of southern Africa.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of veld.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A region or tract of land; esp., the open field, thinly forested or with bushes and shrubs; grass country.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In South Africa, an unforested or thinly forested tract of land or region; grass country.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. elevated open grassland in southern Africa
Afrikaans veld, from Middle Dutch, field; see pelə-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)