American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having no useful result.
- adj. Trifling and frivolous; idle: the futile years after her artistic peak.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Frivolous; merely loquacious.
- Of no effect; answering no valuable purpose; useless; ineffective; trifling: as, futile efforts; futile prattle.
- Synonyms Trivial, frivolous, unimportant, useless, bootless, unavailing, profitless, vain, idle.
- adj. Incapable of producing results; useless; not successful; not worth attempting.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. obsolete Talkative; loquacious; tattling.
- adj. Of no importance; answering no useful end; useless; vain; worthless.
- adj. producing no result or effect
- adj. unproductive of success
- From Latin fūtilis. (Wiktionary)
- Latin fūtilis; see gheu- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It will cost millions in marketing and promotion, or what I call a futile attempt and waste of shareholder equity.”
“Cape Town after the union staged a go-slow following what it termed futile wage negotiations.”
“Based on this dubious proposition, the researchers bizarrely advocate what they call "futile busyness, namely, busyness serving no purpose other than to prevent idleness.”
“TEHRAN (Reuters) - The wife of Iranian opposition leader Mirhossein Mousavi says her 62-year-old brother was among those detained after last month's disputed election in what she called a futile attempt to ...”
“Instead, almost a year has been wasted in futile attempts to appease the Republicans and the Mass. disaster has struck.”
“Whether this makes one's dependence on translation for access to so many important writers seem less, or more, futile is a hard question to answer.”
“Saying that an ordinary death in combat was futile is hard enough, without being associated with others who call it criminal or dishonorable.”
“I think the ultimate in futile laws – at least from its title – was the Humphrey-Hawkins Full Employment Act of 1978.”
“Sincere apologies for any lost time spent middle-clicking a taskbar button in futile window-killing attempts.”
“How futile is it to bash one party with the other?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘futile’.
The words on this list SAT regulars that I haven't sorted and grouped yet. It's like my wordy holding pen. get it? holding the pen to write a word? HA! I love how lame my humor is.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Good for poetry, or just artistic on their own.
COLLECT FROM DIFFERENT PAPERS,WEBSITES,BOOKS AND MOVIES.
words that pique my interest either by meaning, pronunciation, or spelling, and words that otherwise tickle my fancy!!
My big word list.
mostly from magoosh
Looking for tweets for futile.