American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Holding or based on the view that human endeavor is futile.
- n. One who holds the view that human endeavor is futile.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Devoted to worthless or useless pursuits, aims, or the like.
- n. A person given to useless or worthless pursuits.
- c 1830 Blend of futility and utilitarianism (Wiktionary)
- futilit(y) + -arian. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Winnie, Beckett’s "hopeful futilitarian" is buried up to her waist in the earth, woken and summoned to bed each day by the same disembodied bell.”
“Grade: C Born helpless, nude and unable to provide for himself, Lore Sjöberg eventually overcame these handicaps to become a futurist, a futurologist and a futilitarian.”
“In America the silence was more oppressive than the ignorance; but perhaps elsewhere the world might still hide some haunt of futilitarian silence where content reigned, although long search had not revealed it, and so the pilgrimage began anew!”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘futilitarian’.
how many words can I make mine this summer?
Neologisms ala Wordnik.com. Directly below are links to some other New Word lists... pease suggest yours to add!
Ne(word)er by whichbe
fake words by sionnach
"Fornication" is not equal to "formication".
Words with funny meaning, spelling or both.
Looking for tweets for futilitarian.