American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Devoid of matter; empty.
- adj. Lacking intelligence; stupid.
- adj. Devoid of substance or meaning; inane: a vacuous comment.
- adj. Devoid of expression; vacant: "The narrow, swinelike eyes were open, no more vacuous in death than they had been in life” ( Nicholas Proffitt).
- adj. Lacking serious purpose or occupation; idle. See Synonyms at empty.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Empty; unfilled; void; vacant.
- Without intelligence or intelligent expression; unexpressive; showing no intelligence: as, a vacuous look.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Empty; unfilled; void; vacant.
- adj. devoid of intelligence
- adj. devoid of matter
- adj. devoid of significance or point
- adj. void of expression
- Latin vacuus ("empty, vacant") (Wiktionary)
- From Latin vacuus, empty; see vacuum. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Furthermore, labeling your argument vacuous is a condemnation of your argument, not of you.”
“Scientifically vacuous is not the same as invalid.”
“MikeGene: Scientifically vacuous is not the same as invalid.”
“I cringe whenever I hear terms like “podosphere” or “blogsophere” but tonight, Steve made me retch like a college freshman at his first kegger with the ultimate in vacuous hyperbole: “mainstreammediaosphere”!”
“But, anything less than declaring ID to be scientifically vacuous is shortchanging the public, who depend on scientists to be honest.”
“She stood in the doorway, sucking on the straw, her face the twin of Tee Bobby’s, her expression vacuous, her eyes tangled with thoughts that probably no one could ever guess at.”
“Sunday Times asking for an example of the humour they advise, maybe a joke or two that I could pass round the pub and that would sort of snowball resulting in the exposure of Choudary and his ideas as "vacuous" - so far nothing.”
“Watching women compete with each other who are that vacuous is kind of like witnessing the anthropology of woman’s dark side.”
“I’ve noticed authors are enamored with the word vacuous/vacuity.”
“The term vacuous doesn't even begin to describe the space betwen Palin's ears.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘vacuous’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
Just a list of words
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
every major discipline has uniquely developed esoteric nomenclature to facilitate interdisciplinary dissemination
words i need to memorize
Looking for tweets for vacuous.