from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality of having no useful result; uselessness.
- n. Lack of importance or purpose; frivolousness.
- n. A futile act.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The quality of being futile or useless.
- n. Something, especially an act, that is futile.
- n. Unimportance.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality of being talkative; talkativeness; loquaciousness; loquacity.
- n. The quality of producing no valuable effect, or of coming to nothing; uselessness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The quality or character of being futile
- n. The qnality of producing no valuable effect; uselessness; triflingness; unimportance; want of weight or result: as, the futility of measures or schemes; to expose the futility of arguments.
- n. Synonyms Nouns formed from adjectives under futile.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. uselessness as a consequence of having no practical result
futile + -ity (Wiktionary)