from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state or quality of being inconsistent.
- n. Something inconsistent: many inconsistencies in your proposal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being inconsistent
- n. an incompatibility between two propositions that cannot both be true
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being inconsistent; discordance in respect to sentiment or action; such contrariety between two things that both can not exist or be true together; disagreement; incompatibility.
- n. Absurdity in argument ore narration; incoherence or irreconcilability in the parts of a statement, argument, or narration; that which is inconsistent.
- n. Lack of stability or uniformity; unsteadiness; changeableness; variableness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The quality of being inconsistent; want of consistency or agreement between ideas or actions; contradictory relation of parts or particulars; intrinsic opposition in fact or in principle; incongruity; contrariety; discrepancy.
- n. A want of consistency in feeling, idea, or act; lack of agreement or uniformity in manifestation; incongruity.
- n. Synonyms Incoherency, irreconcilability, discrepancy, contradictoriness. See incompatible.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the relation between propositions that cannot both be true at the same time
- n. the quality of being inconsistent and lacking a harmonious uniformity among things or parts
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I believe one of the traditional liberal defenses of the inconsistency is an argument about strong/weak group relations.
Some French commentators criticized the president for what they called his inconsistency over China and human rights.
Such inconsistency is interesting, though, and almost inevitable when one sees fit to defend the English language from “plagues”, “attacks”, and presumably imminent doom.
This crazy vertebrae inconsistency is because the Two - and Three-toed sloths do not have a shared ancestor until you go back 40 MILLION YEARS.
The only inconsistency is the glaring, gaping one between his actions and his campaign rhetoric.
But his inconsistency is troublesome and he left Tuesday's game and is day-to-day with a lower-body injury.
The inconsistency is between one of their positions and YOUR idea of what their other position should be.
The inconsistency is minor and arguably unimportant in a novel this lighthearted, but it's still bothersome.
'' The inconsistency is the biggest disappointment. ''
This inconsistency is true for other photos of labels on the website as well.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.