from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Distinction by contrasting or opposing qualities.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Distinction by contrast; the displaying of something, A, to show what B is not.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Distinction by contrast.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Distinction by opposite qualities; direct contrast: generally preceded by in and followed by to.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a distinction drawn on the basis of contrast
contra- + distinction (Wiktionary)