American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act of confronting or the state of being confronted, especially a meeting face to face.
- n. A conflict involving armed forces: a nuclear confrontation.
- n. Discord or a clash of opinions and ideas: an age of ideological confrontation.
- n. A focused comparison: an essay that brought elements of biography, autobiography, and general European history into powerful, meaningful confrontation.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of confronting. The act of bringing face to face for examination and discovery of truth.
- n. The act of confronting or challenging another, especially face-to-face
- n. A conflict between armed forces
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Act of confronting.
- n. the act of hostile groups opposing each other
- n. a hostile disagreement face-to-face
- n. discord resulting from a clash of ideas or opinions
- n. a focussed comparison; bringing together for a careful comparison
- n. a bold challenge
“Such a confrontation is apparently planned for the end of August 1976 and the school boycotts are just an introduction.”
“Oh, yes, not all 'confrontation' is to be avoided.”
“And part of that confrontation is determining what exactly causes thegap.”
“Since the multinational crew of activists aboard the ships have vowed not to stop, even if they are threatened with force, it would seem a confrontation is inevitable.”
“This confrontation is playing out in country after country today, from Indonesia to Sierra Leone, from Zimbabwe to Venezuela, from Russia to the Middle East.”
“It conducts this confrontation from a Christian perspective, which makes me agnostic as to how well the movie will succeed.”
“Despite his expressed need for special security, Specter admitted heated confrontation is part of the job.”
“The latest pictures realised of a drunken Ian Tomlinson before his death shows him in confrontation beforehand.”
“But I have a certain confrontation with Flynn in this club.”
“For a moment, just accept the fact that many people actually believe that Iran has that program and a confrontation is designed to 1. verify that belief and 2. prevent it from achieving fruition because the consequences would lead to an all-out nuclear arms race in the middle east.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘confrontation’.
broker a peace ac..., client state, deadlocked peace ..., embassy, freeze, goodwill ambassador, hinterland, interfere in dome..., intervene personally, maintain technica..., mediation, no business as usual and 670 more...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Very basic words for ESL students.
GRE , GMAT , TOEFL , IELTS , SAT 。。。
The words on this list are difficult to spell for easy spellers but they should be known by fifth grade, by age 10.
GED English class
A meeting of minds and emotions and fists
...it's how you say it. I've noticed that every person seems to have a particular favorite way to speak. What's yours?
Looking for tweets for confrontation.