from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of confronting or the state of being confronted, especially a meeting face to face.
- n. A conflict involving armed forces: a nuclear confrontation.
- n. Discord or a clash of opinions and ideas: an age of ideological confrontation.
- n. A focused comparison: an essay that brought elements of biography, autobiography, and general European history into powerful, meaningful confrontation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of confronting or challenging another, especially face-to-face
- n. A conflict between armed forces
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Act of confronting.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of confronting.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of hostile groups opposing each other
- n. a hostile disagreement face-to-face
- n. discord resulting from a clash of ideas or opinions
- n. a focussed comparison; bringing together for a careful comparison
- n. a bold challenge
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Such a confrontation is apparently planned for the end of August 1976 and the school boycotts are just an introduction.
Oh, yes, not all 'confrontation' is to be avoided.
And part of that confrontation is determining what exactly causes thegap.
Since the multinational crew of activists aboard the ships have vowed not to stop, even if they are threatened with force, it would seem a confrontation is inevitable.
This confrontation is playing out in country after country today, from Indonesia to Sierra Leone, from Zimbabwe to Venezuela, from Russia to the Middle East.
It conducts this confrontation from a Christian perspective, which makes me agnostic as to how well the movie will succeed.
Despite his expressed need for special security, Specter admitted heated confrontation is part of the job.
The latest pictures realised of a drunken Ian Tomlinson before his death shows him in confrontation beforehand.
But I have a certain confrontation with Flynn in this club.
For a moment, just accept the fact that many people actually believe that Iran has that program and a confrontation is designed to 1. verify that belief and 2. prevent it from achieving fruition because the consequences would lead to an all-out nuclear arms race in the middle east.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.