from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of installing.
- n. The state of being installed. Also called installment2.
- n. A system of machinery or other apparatus set up for use.
- n. A permanent military base.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of installing or giving possession of an office, rank, or order, with the usual rites or ceremonies; as, the installation of an ordained minister in a parish.
- n. The whole of a system of machines, apparatus, and accessories, when set up and arranged for practical working, as in electric lighting, transmission of power, etc.
- n. A grouping of facilities that constitute a permanent military base
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of installing.
- n. the act of installing (a person) or giving possession of an office, rank, or order, with the usual rites or ceremonies.
- n. The whole of a system of machines, apparatus, and accessories, sometimes including the buildings and gorounds on which they are located, when set up and arranged for practical working, as in electric lighting, transmission of power, etc..
- n. The whole of a military base, post, camp, outpost, etc., constructed and operated for support of military operations.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of installing; the formal induction of a person into a rank, an order, or an official position: as, the installation of a Knight of the Garter; the installation of a clergyman over a charge.
- n. A placing in position for service or use; also, a complete mechanical apparatus or “plant” in position and ready for use: especially used of electrical apparatus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a building or place that provides a particular service or is used for a particular industry
- n. the act of installing something (as equipment)
- n. a formal entry into an organization or position or office
It may help that my SpamAssassin installation is on my own server, and is highly tuned to meet my needs.
The term installation is also applied to the institutio corporalis, or putting in possession of any ecclesiastical benefice whatsoever (see INSTITUTION, CANONICAL); or, again, to the solemn entry of a parish priest into his new parish, even when this solemn act takes place after the parish priest has really been put in possession of his benefice.
Even though the worded concourse may cause a few run ins, I ultimately think that the installation is absolutely fabulous!
The Kutamba installation is the first of many – Project H hopes to build at least 5 more in Africa and in the US.
Not only do you not have to scrounge around for installation disks (and hope they are not damaged or lost), the installation is also wicked fast because you're reading from the hard disk instead of optical media.
According to ProCaps the installation is the "largest private solar energy installation in the world."
Ok this installation is the big stuff, lets look at precious metals.
This installation is a three-dimensional, life-size, 168-square-foot replica of a typical American kitchen of the 1950s.
Each installation is an immersive environment constructed as a place that encourages sensory understanding of physical space and temporal duration.
As for criticism that the online installation is not really viewable as a museum exhibition, Oursler disagreed.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.