American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. All the merchandise and equipment kept on hand and used in carrying on a business.
- n. The resources available to and habitually called on by a person in a given situation: A ready wit is her stock-in-trade.
- n. Merchandise and other necessary supplies kept on hand in order to do business.
- n. A technique, skill or ability habitually used by a person, group of persons, or an organization, often in the course of their business.
- n. any equipment constantly used as part of a profession or occupation
“Until I see you even once denounce the shrieky eliminationism that is the stock-in-trade of your political coreligionists -- some examples are compiled here, and there are several more recent ones -- I, for one, can do without your Pecksniffian faux-outrage about a throwaway and self-contradictory Twitter comment.”
“There are photographs of funereal stock-in-trade monumental grave sculptures — mostly limp angels with oversized wings.”
“Their stock-in-trade is to dehumanize, humiliate and relegate human beings to caricatures.”
“Jack Shafer, who makes red-penciling the Times his stock-in-trade, was less forgiving.”
“John C. Wright shares an appreciation of David Lindsay's Voyage to Arcturus: "No mainstream book can compare for sheer, headlong imagination with a science fiction book, because imagination is the stock-in-trade of science fiction.”
“Though he is capable of the full range of human emotion, the staples of "guilt and anger" that he identified once early in his career "after 14 Pernods" as his songwriting stock-in-trade remain dominant themes.”
“Such comments are unlikely to endear him to Liverpool's under-fire players, which is a shame as they're crying out for a bit of the mongrel that is the Afghan Hound lookalike's stock-in-trade.”
“This 2.5 percent contribution is imposed on a Muslim's savings and stock-in-trade, payable to the state annually to fund social programs.”
“Escapism, of course, and retro-escapism at that, has become USA's stock-in-trade.”
“The mystification of the line between fact and fantasy is the confidence man's stock-in-trade.”
‘stock-in-trade’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for stock-in-trade.