from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that opens, especially a device used to cut open cans or pry up bottle caps.
- n. Games The player who starts the betting in cards.
- n. Games Cards of sufficient value to enable the holder to open the betting.
- n. The first act in a theatrical variety show.
- n. Sports The first game in a series.
- idiom for openers Informal To begin with: "Out of 54 potential jurors, they knocked 20 off . . . just for openers” ( Joseph DiMona).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A device that opens something; specifically a tin-opener/can-opener, or a bottle opener.
- n. The player who starts the betting.
- n. (in plural openers) Cards of sufficient value to enable a player to open the betting.
- n. The first act in a variety show.
- n. A batsman who normally plays in the first two positions of an innings.
- n. The first in a series of events, items etc.; the first remark or sentence of a conversation.
- n. The first game played in a competition
- n. The first goal or point scored.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, opens.
- n. A bottle opener or a can opener.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who opens: as, a pew-opener.
- n. A tool or machine used in opening.
- n. plural In poker, the necessary qualification for opening a jack-pot, namely, jacks or better.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a hand tool used for opening sealed containers (bottles or cans)
- n. the first event in a series
- n. a person who unfastens or unwraps or opens
The electric tin opener is the worst household gadget invented, according to a new poll.
The term opener involves interpretation of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, or IDEA, which provides federal funding so local school boards can provide disabled children with a "free appropriate public education."
Firearms deer opener is still 2-months away for Michigan (November 15).
Our duck opener is on Oct 3 (a little early if you ask me since its 80 outside as I wright this) but any way I cant even sleep at night, trying out a new deer arrea this year and hope it pans out but its always fun to try something new.
Nate Burleson, who had season-ending surgery after a knee injury in the 2008 opener, is at split end.
We see the same thing in chef/author turned television host Anthony Bourdain, and in such novels as Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen, The Book of Unholy Mischief by Elle Newmark (and may I say that this website opener is the kind of cover I lobbied to get for The Lost Recipe for Happiness), Chocolat, by Joanne Harris, and the ultimate foodie magic realism, Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel.
This series opener is essential reading for fantasy fans. —
Well the rifle season opener is November 15th, and guess what ...
The Mets official home opener is tonight, though the park has already been used for exhibition games ....
Musical noteThe title song "Never Let Me Go" from the LFF opener is totally made up.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.