from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A cord attached to a latch and often passed through a hole in the door to allow lifting of the latch from the outside.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A string attached to a latch allowing it to be disengaged from the opposite side.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A string for raising the latch of a door by a person outside. It is fastened to the latch and passed through a hole above it in the door.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A string passed outward through a hole in a door for the purpose of raising a latch on the inside.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. opener consisting of a string that can be passed through a hole in a door for raising the latch from outside
latch + string (Wiktionary)