from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A country of western Africa on the Gulf of Guinea. Situated between the Dahomey and Ashanti kingdoms, the region was held by Denmark in the 18th century and became the German protectorate of Togoland in 1884. The territory forming present-day Togo was administered as French Togoland from 1922 to 1960, when it achieved independence as a republic. Lomé is the capital and the largest city. Population: 5,700,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Country in Western Africa. Official name: Togolese Republic.
- proper n. A surname.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. to go with the arm or hand of one linked in the arm of another.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To go different ways; scatter.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a republic on the western coast of Africa on the Gulf of Guinea; formerly under French control
Are we going to fall into fratricidal fighting like in Togo […]?
Wars have been or are being fought in Togo, Ivory Coast, and Liberia.
Leone — and in Togo, where the dictator Etienne Eyadema, in power since 1967, was nearly toppled in 1991, not by democrats but by thousands of youths whom the London-based magazine West Africa described as "Soweto-like stone-throwing adolescents."
Bongo's death is not going to bring anything beneficial to the Gabonese people, because the heir and heiress Ali and Pascaline Bongo have already been groomed and brought by Bolloré - personal friend of Sarkozy - and of Christophe de Margerie of TotalFinaElf and many other vampires to suck power, as it was the case in Togo where the children of the late Gnassingbe were brought to power under the double weight of rape and violence.
In the last few weeks Jim Lahey’s recipe has been translated into German, baked in Togo, discussed on more than 20 [Read More]
•Dathe Benissan-Messan, Creighton University; major: biology; studying the biting habits of pernicious black flies in Togo.
Many French-speaking migrants in Ghana say they want to travel on to Togo, which is also a Francophone country.
That recommendation could have serious implications for Togo, which is scheduled to take up the chairmanship of the Organization of
Togo, which is hosting the gathering, will take over the presidency of the 53-member pan-African organization from Algeria.
French Togoland (former name Togo 8 00 N 1 10 E for Togo)
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.