from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The place of business of a barber.
- adj. Of, consisting of, or relating to the performance of sentimental songs for unaccompanied, usually male voices in four-part harmony: a barbershop quartet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The place of business of a barber; a store where a person (usually a man) can go to get a haircut.
- n. A style of a capella vocal music, sung in four-part harmony, typically by a quartet of men.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a shop where a barber works, especially one where men can get their hair cut.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a shop where men can get their hair cut
But my barbershop is actually a salon in disguise, and all the manly men have taken to services once reserved for women like ducks to water.
The barbershop is a place where you can feel free to have this kind of discussion and opinion.
To tell you the truth, George's tales of his barbershop are the funniest ones I've heard, in my opinion.
On the other side of the diner from the barbershop was the third business in the building, Harry's Lock and Key.
Next beyond the barbershop, which is two doors beyond the general store and postoffice, was a little one-story building, weather-beaten and badly in need of paint.
Despite the poor results, several people with knowledge of the matter said the idea to put the undercover officer in the barbershop was a good one.
"A barbershop is a hub for culture," Mr. Laub said, adding that men like to hang out there the way women do at salons.
The barbershop is the one place they can visit and get an education, quickly.
The barbershop was a windowless, 8-by-8-foot room with a metal door painted gray.
While we wish him the best in a well-deserved retirement, the closing of his barbershop is the end of an era and it diminishes our community.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.