from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A place for anchoring.
- n. A fee charged for the privilege of anchoring.
- n. The act of anchoring or the condition of being at anchor.
- n. A means of securing or stabilizing: The central bank was the anchorage of the financial community.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fee charged for anchoring.
- n. That into which something is anchored or fastened.
- n. The surgical fixation of prolapsed organs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of anchoring, or the condition of lying at anchor.
- n. A place suitable for anchoring or where ships anchor; a hold for an anchor.
- n. The set of anchors belonging to a ship.
- n. Something which holds like an anchor; a hold.
- n. Something on which one may depend for security; ground of trust.
- n. A toll for anchoring; anchorage duties.
- n. Abode of an anchoret.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Anchoring-ground; a place where a ship anchors or can anchor; a customary place for anchoring.
- n. Hence That to which anything is fastened: as, the anchorage of the cables of a suspension-bridge.
- n. The anchor and all the necessary tackle for anchoring.
- n. A duty imposed on ships for anchoring in a harbor; anchorage-dues.
- n. The cell or retreat of an anchoret.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the condition of being secured to a base
- n. a city in south central Alaska
- n. a fee for anchoring
- n. the act of anchoring
- n. place for vessels to anchor
This anchorage is a wonderful place; the water is extremely deep, and the rocks which bound the coast exceed in ruggedness and boldness of outline any that I ever saw before.
February 26th, 2009 at 3: 14 pm till bridge loans in anchorage ak says: till bridge loans in anchorage ak … tag antisocial torus temporary thrashes?
Here, in your secure little anchorage, is a compound of life's social pleasures in the womb of nature.
The tides of the great sea do not rise and fall there; the anchorage is good; the winds that weep over the waters bring balm with them; and the banner that floats at the entrance bears this inscription –
Thus at Amsterdam he called the anchorage Van Diemen's Road, and where the boats went for water Maria's
i was raised in anchorage and edwin boyd johnson is actually my great-uncle. so, i got to view photos of my home town and a painting of my g-uncle's i had not seen yet. thanks a lot!
The bow ranks were flooded; the whole front of the anchorage was a wreck of sunken boats.
The anchorage is a delightful one; I would willingly have stayed there for a couple of days instead of beating about in the open sea with the wind up half the time.
About four miles from the anchorage was a small opening in the mangroves, but of too little importance to take any notice of.
Near the anchorage was a small mangrove opening, the entrance of which was blocked up by a dry mud bank.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.