American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act of arriving.
- n. One that arrives or has arrived.
- n. The reaching of a goal or objective as a result of effort or a process: our ultimate arrival at a compromise.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of arriving, as in coming to land or to the end of a journey; a reaching or coming to a destination, or some definite place.
- n. The person or thing which arrives: as, a long list of arrivals.
- n. The reaching or attainment of any object or state by effort, or in natural course: as, arrival at a just conclusion.
- n. the act of arriving or something that has arrived
- n. the attainment of an objective, especially as a result of effort
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of arriving, or coming; the act of reaching a place from a distance, whether by water (as in its original sense) or by land.
- n. The attainment or reaching of any object, by effort, or in natural course.
- n. The person or thing arriving or which has arrived.
- n. obsolete An approach.
- n. the act of arriving at a certain place
- n. someone who arrives (or has arrived)
- n. accomplishment of an objective
- arrive + -al (Wiktionary)
“Just at dusk on November 1 we reach Caquixtle de Arriba and our arrival is a great success.”
“Planning on spending that night at an airport hotel, just because your arrival is at 4: 30 p.m. and the dark of night loometh, is ridiculous.”
“coined the term "arrival city" in response to what he felt was a semantic lack.”
“For successful web brands like TMZ and Funny or Die, the ultimate sign of arrival is running cable's rigorous selection process to gain a long-form slot on the dial - still the gold standard in the world of entertainment.”
“The point of departure and arrival is the conciliar Constitution on the Liturgy, Sacrosanctum Concilium.”
“I'd heard fieldfares in a tall hedge making that strange conspiratorial hissing call to each other and, as their arrival from the north is such a signature event for autumn proper, I thought I'd wander over and pay my respects.”
“But uncertain arrival time for rain makes planning difficult.”
“This new store´s arrival is liking having your old Aunt Maude come to town and sitting there on your sofa in your mom´s living room and smoking cagarettes and refusing to leave and you wonder why she just doesn´t go back to Atlanta but she never will now will she? tashby”
“So far the only new seasonal arrival is the rather unpleasent common grackle ….”
“Buffalo Bills: WR Terrell Owens 'arrival is the highlight.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘arrival’.
Very basic words for ESL students.
There's a fiction meme (mostly on Livejournal) where writers use words as a prompt for a short story snippet. I've been collecting the words that show up on these lists as prompts for creative writ...
transformation words, of becoming
Looking for tweets for arrival.