American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Football An act of carrying, receiving, or gaining possession of the ball across the opponent's goal line for a score of six points.
- n. The contact, or moment of contact, of a landing aircraft or spacecraft with the landing surface.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In foot-ball, the touching of the ball to the ground by a player behind his opponent's goal; the play by which this is done.
- n. American football, Canadian football A six-point score occurring when the ball enters possession of a team's player in the opponent's end zone. Analogous to a try in rugby.
- n. aviation The moment when an aircraft makes first or final contact with the ground during a landing.
- n. rugby A try
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Football) The act of touching the football down behind the opponents' goal; also the score (6 points) resulting from such a play.
- v. come or bring (a plane) to a landing
- n. a landing (as the wheels touch the landing field); especially of airplanes
- n. a score in American football; being in possession of the ball across the opponents' goal line
- touch + down. (Wiktionary)
- From the earlier practice of touching the ball to the ground behind the goal line. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Ending it on a pick returned for a touchdown is an extremely disappointing thing," said Delhomme, who completed 13-of-25 passes for 153 yards and one touchdown with two interceptions.”
“He played tight end at The Citadel and led the nation in touchdown receptions — in 1959.”
“Hearing that a team scored only one touchdown is bad, until you find out that no one else scored at all in any other games.”
“Jaworski and became the franchise's all-time leader in touchdown passes”
“A touchdown is a touchdown, no matter what unit scores.”
“Campbell found tight end Zach Miller uncovered for a 43-yard walk-in touchdown for a 7-0 lead.”
“Even getting more than one touchdown is a vast improvement.”
“•Wide receiver: Greg Jennings is an emerging star and will soon get a hefty raise if he keeps hauling in touchdown strikes from Rodgers.”
“No. 18 Tulsa at Arkansas, 2 p.m. Golden Hurricane offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn returns with his high-powered attack led by quarterback David Johnson, who leads the nation in touchdown passes.”
“Cantwell threw for 212 yards and ran in Louisville's other touchdown from the 1.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘touchdown’.
Interesting gene names. Some of these may have changed recently (to something less offensive/funny).
tinman, agnostic, dreadlocks, Van Gogh, fruitless, lava lamp, ariadne, cheap date, ken and barbie, I'm not dead yet, I'm not dead yet 2, manic fringe and 1192 more...
There are thousands of sign languages and possibly millions of gestures in human communication but not all of them have a name. Some are understood everywhere, some are understood everywhere but di...
My big word list.
Very basic words for ESL students.
Words as I learn them.
For more flower fun, see these lists:
Rose words by mollusque
Rose varieties by mollusque
Tulip Names I
Tulip Names II: You Know My Name
A Myriad of Irii
Looking for tweets for touchdown.