from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of emerging.
- n. A superficial outgrowth of plant tissue, such as the prickle of a rose.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of rising out of a fluid, or coming forth from envelopment or concealment, or of rising into view; sudden uprising or appearance.
- n. In particular: the arising of emergent structure in complex systems.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of rising out of a fluid, or coming forth from envelopment or concealment, or of rising into view; sudden uprisal or appearance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of rising from or out of that which covers or conceals; a coming forth or into view.
- n. In botany, an outgrowth or appendage upon the surface of an organ, as the prickles and glandular hairs of roses.
- n. An emergency; exigency.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of coming (or going) out; becoming apparent
- n. the gradual beginning or coming forth
- n. the act of emerging
- n. the becoming visible
Sorry, no etymologies found.