from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of emerging; emergence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. emergence, especially from the water
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of emerging, or of rising out of anything
- n. The reappearance of a heavenly body after an eclipse or occultation
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of emerging; emergence: chiefly used in contrast with immersion, etc.
- n. In astron.: The reappearance of a heavenly body after an eclipse or occultation; also, the time of reappearance: as, the emersion of the moon from the shadow of the earth; the emersion of a star from behind the moon.
- n. The heliacal rising of a star—that is, its reappearance just before sunrise after conjunction with the sun.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (astronomy) the reappearance of a celestial body after an eclipse
- n. the act of emerging
From Latin ēmersus, past participle of ēmergere, to emerge; see emerge.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)