from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of advancing to a higher position or office; promotion.
- n. A position, appointment, or rank giving advancement, as of profit or prestige.
- n. The act of preferring or the state of being preferred.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of choosing, or the state of being chosen; preference.
- n. The act of preferring, or advancing in dignity or office; the state of being advanced; promotion.
- n. A position or office of honor or profit.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of preferring or esteeming more highly, or the state of being preferred; choice; preference; advancement; promotion.
- n. A superior place or office, especially in the church.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of preferring
- n. the act of making accusations
From prefer + -ment. (Wiktionary)