from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality or condition of being other or different, especially if exotic or strange: "We're going to see in Europe ... religion, royalty, picturesqueness, otherness” ( Anatole Broyard).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The quality of being different or distinct.
- n. The result or product of being different or distinct.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being other or different; alterity; oppositeness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or quality of being other; alterity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the quality of being not alike; being distinct or different from that otherwise experienced or known
other + -ness (Wiktionary)