American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act, state, or fact of contradicting oneself.
- n. An idea or statement containing contradictory elements.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or fact of contradicting one's self: as, the self-contradiction of a witness.
- n. A statement, proposition, or the like which is contradictory in itself, or of which the terms are mutually contradictory: as, the self-contradictions of a doctrine or an argument.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of contradicting one's self or itself; repugnancy in conceptions or in terms; a proposition consisting of two members, one of which contradicts the other.
- n. contradicting yourself
“I think “it is not an abstraction that animates them” could actually be a pretty revealing sentence, and not merely a bizarre self-contradiction.”
“To infer that mutation and selection did the creating because nothing else was available, and then to bring God back into the picture as the omnipotent being who chose to create by mutation and selection, is to indulge in self-contradiction.”
“This is not simply incoherent and irresponsible, but a monument to self-contradiction.”
“Problem is, we see the principled irony and self-contradiction, those others only that we be fools.”
“In short, they were an inherently modern movement, even though their ideology and rhethorics were anti-modern (which is pretty much the self-contradiction at the heart of fascism).”
“Or, as Schutz puts it, in what at first glance seems a self-contradiction, “while gesture fails to alter the sound of the note, it … alters the way the note sounds.””
“He concluded the week with a self-contradiction on ABC's This Week, saying he both opposed continuation of the debt ceiling -- which would trigger a default -- and favored legislation preventing default.”
“I would only make this specific argument from self-contradiction against someone who claimed that no mental states exist (i.e., some version of eliminative materialism), or a radical skeptic who claimed that we know nothing about mental states.”
“Pritchett's main assertion contains a core of self-contradiction.”
“But the quote above shows that Vedder is careful about trying to limit self-contradiction.”
‘self-contradiction’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for self-contradiction.