from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An inaccurate explanation, interpretation, or report; a misunderstanding.
- n. Grammar A faulty construction, especially of a sentence or clause.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a misunderstanding or misinterpretation resulting from the use of the wrong meaning of a word that has multiple meanings
- n. an ungrammatical phrase
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Erroneous construction; wrong interpretation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of misconstruing; wrong interpretation; a mistaking of the true meaning.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a kind of misinterpretation resulting from putting a wrong construction on words or actions (often deliberately)
- n. an ungrammatical constituent
mis- + construction (Wiktionary)