from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Coolness and composure, especially in trying circumstances.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Composure, level-headedness, coolness in trying circumstances.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Freedom from agitation or excitement of mind; coolness in trying circumstances; indifference; calmness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Freedom from agitation or excitement of mind; coolness; indifference; calmness in trying circumstances.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. great coolness and composure under strain
French : sang, blood (from Old French, from Latin sanguis) + froid, cold (from Old French, from Vulgar Latin *frigidus, alteration of Latin frīgidus; see frigid).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French sang-froid ("cool blood") (Wiktionary)