from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state of being variegated; diversified coloration.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the state of being variegated
- n. a variation in the colour of different zones of the same plant
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of variegating or diversifying, or the state of being diversified, by different colors; diversity of colors.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Varied coloration; the conjunction of various colors or color-marks; party-coloration.
- n. In botany: The conjunction of two or more colors in the petals, leaves, and other parts of plants.
- n. A condition of plants in which the leaves become partially white or of a very light color, from suppression or modification of the chlorophyl.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. variability in coloration
- n. the act of introducing variety (especially in investments or in the variety of goods and services offered)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
What becomes clear is that, as there has been a multitude of Christian and Jewish dialogue projects, there has also been a multitude and variegation of Muslim scholarly dialogue projects and establishments.
It is a question of a little more green here, a slightly sharper indent there, a hint of variegation on a leaf or pedicel.
I adore all shades of blue, purple, and white, plus anything with silver leaves or white variegation.
SIEGEL: Given a potential application of stem cells would assume, I would imagine, what kind of cells are needed, why would the variegation of the adult stem cells be a disadvantage in that case?
The creamy yellow variegation on the foliage is attractive in winter.
Arum ‘Chameleon’ has golden green variegation that makes this groundcover a diva!
There are other hostas with lots of white variegation that will do the same thing to brighten a shady spot.
Wow, your trillium have just interesting colors and variegation!
This current shot shows the babies are now blooming size, and beginning to show variegation with the stronger sunlight coming through the south facing window as spring approaches ever nearer.
As to other cosmetic characteristics, like the hair, worn in as many different ways as clothes, though predominantly short, and the clothes themselves with. their wild variegation, he refused to be led astray.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.