American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The existence, especially in the solid state, of two or more crystalline or molecular structural forms of an element.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The property which certain chemical elements have of existing in two or more distinct forms, each having certain characteristics peculiar to itself. The element carbon, for instance, exists nearly pure in three totally distinct forms—the diamond, graphite, and charcoal.
- n. chemistry A property, exhibited by some elements of existing in multiple forms with different atomic structures.
- n. the phenomenon of an element existing in two or more physical forms
- allo- + -tropy (Wiktionary)
“The phenomenon of allotropy is exhibited when an element exists in two or more distinct forms.”
“When it then became a question of forming an opinion of the reason for these different states, several people, e.g. the American scientist Lea, had recourse to the concept of allotropy which existed previously in chemistry, and was illustrated by the typical example of phosphorus with its two so-called allotropic modifications, the yellow and the red.”
“About a fourth of the hold was similarly constructed, in order to bring back minerals whose allotropy required Jovian surface conditions.”
“Instances of allotropy in pure metals are: Bolley's lead, which oxidizes readily in air; Schutzenberger's copper; Fritsche 'tin, which falls to powder when exposed to exceptionally cold winter; Gore's antimony; Graham's palladium and allotropic nickel.”
“There seems to be a similar allotropy working in human nature.”
“But it is evident that this is but one of many passages where Indra by implication is compared to the sun; and comparisons do not indicate allotropy.”
“How about thermodynamics, like the phase equilibrium in a binary system containing a eutectic and exhibiting allotropy?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘allotropy’.
Not just rare words, but thousands of RARE WORDS WITH DEFINITIONS.
If you want to see the definitions, too, go to
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Looking for tweets for allotropy.