from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Chiefly Southern U.S. See andiron. See Regional Note at andiron.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Bronze Age artifact used in worshipping either bulls or the moon, or as a holder for wooden logs to be used in a fire altar.
- n. Either of a pair of horizontal metal supports for holding logs in a fireplace
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See Firedog, in the Vocabulary.
- n. A support for wood in a fireplace; an andiron.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as andiron.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. metal supports for logs in a fireplace
Sorry, no etymologies found.