from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality of being eccentric.
- n. Deviation from the normal, expected, or established.
- n. An example or instance of eccentric behavior.
- n. Physics The distance between the center of an eccentric and its axis.
- n. Mathematics The ratio of the distance of any point on a conic section from a focus to its distance from the corresponding directrix. This ratio is constant for any particular conic section.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The quality of being eccentric; any eccentric behaviour.
- n. The ratio, constant for any particular conic section, of the distance of a point from the focus to its distance from the directrix
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of being eccentric; deviation from the customary line of conduct; oddity.
- n. The ratio of the distance between the center and the focus of an ellipse or hyperbola to its semi-transverse axis.
- n. The ratio of the distance of the center of the orbit of a heavenly body from the center of the body round which it revolves to the semi-transverse axis of the orbit.
- n. The distance of the center of figure of a body, as of an eccentric, from an axis about which it turns; the throw.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Deviation from a center; the state of a circle with reference to its center not coinciding with that of another circle.
- n. In geometry and astronomy, the distance between the foci of a conic divided by the transverse diameter. The eccentricity of the earth's orbit is .01677, or about .
- n. In ancient astronomy, the distance of the center of the equant from the earth.
- n. Departure or deviation from that which is stated, regular, or usual; oddity; whimsicalness: as, the eccentricity of a man's genius or conduct.
- n. An eccentric action or characteristic; a striking peculiarity of character or conduct.
- n. Also excentricity in the literal uses.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (geometry) a ratio describing the shape of a conic section; the ratio of the distance between the foci to the length of the major axis
- n. a circularity that has a different center or deviates from a circular path
- n. strange and unconventional behavior
eccentric + -ity (Wiktionary)