American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Courage and fortitude; spirit: troops who showed their mettle in combat.
- n. Inherent quality of character and temperament.
- idiom. on (one's) mettle Prepared to accept a challenge and do one's best.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as metal.
- n. Physical or moral constitution; material.
- n. Natural tempera me ut; specifically, a masculine and ardent temperament; spirit; courage; ardor; enthusiasm.
- n. A quality of endurance and courage.
- n. Good temperament and character.
- n. obsolete Metal; a metallic substance.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Substance or quality of temperament; spirit, esp. as regards honor, courage, fortitude, ardor, etc.; disposition; -- usually in a good sense.
- n. the courage to carry on
- Originally a variant of metal. (Wiktionary)
- Variant of metal. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I. i.96 (151,8) Of unimproved mettle hot and full] _Full of unimproved mettle_, is full of spirit not regulated or guided by knowledge or experience.”
“However, a much greater test of their title mettle awaits Stephen Kearney's men when they face favourites Australia in Melbourne next Saturday, while PNG must now pick themselves up for their clash with England in Auckland on the same day.”
“Arsene Wenger's delight as Arsenal show their title mettle in hard-fought Goodison Park win”
“The real test of your mettle is when you come up against a major setback and you refuse to let it stop you, when you find another way to achieve what you need to do.”
“But the true test of a person's mettle is what can they do when they don't have money to control their lives.”
“` ` To me, where your mettle is tested a little bit is when you get hit in the teeth.”
“New Jersey's mettle is being severely tested in the franchise's first appearance in the conference final.”
“High mettle is the praise of a horse rather than of a man, whom fierceness and rage ill become.”
“Ancelotti asks Arsenal to show their Premier League title mettle LONDON - Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti has told arch rivals Arsenal that its time to show their mettle for the Premier League title.”
“Carlo Ancelotti asks Arsenal to show their Premier League title mettle Air Alex Ferguson says City can't handle pressure, Man U used to playing big games Rafa Benitez credits Alberto Aquilani for Liverpool's Premier League win over Tottenham The Hosur Road Elevated Expressway could spell a major lifestyle change for those commuting to electronic city and beyond.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘mettle’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
all those wonderful Britsy words that end with a double consonant followed by 'le'
words that kick ass, in the non-literal sense
Words contained in the screenplay of Wizard of Oz, 1939 film.
Comments show the actual "line" from the film.
The words are tagged for grade-level
Temporary list is temporary.
Collecting a few words here, which are then to be alloted to other lists.
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Looking for tweets for mettle.