American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A natural propensity or inclination; predisposition. See Synonyms at predilection.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Inclination; propensity; proneness; tendency.
- n. Readiness; facility of learning.
- n. Synonyms Bent, bias, predisposition, aptitude, turn (for).
- n. A predisposition or natural inclination, propensity, or a predilection; especially refers to a strong disposition or bent.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a natural inclination
- From Latin prōclīvitās, from pro ("toward") + clīvus ("a slope, hill"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin prōclīvitās, from prōclīvis, inclined : prō-, forward; see pro-1 + clīvus, slope; see klei- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Or perhaps the two of them share a certain proclivity for denial in the face of evidence and facts.”
“Posturing seems to be the main proclivity of our right wing today.”
“Too many people associate Muslims with terrorists, that is, a proclivity to violence or people who are not patriotic to this country," Al-Qatami said.”
“You left out race, gender and sexual proclivity which is the heart of every liberal action.”
“Perhaps our culture should change in such a way that people have a much greater proclivity to think clearly and consistently within the framework of a well-defined value system accepted by everyone.”
“Would one seriously argue that a student who showed early proclivity for mathematics should be the last one who should get a career as a mathematician.”
“The Iranians have shown a long-time proclivity to open fire on neutral shipping and even other warships, over the course of the last 25 years.”
“Alarmingly, QE has brought forth a new brinkmanship gambling upon the proclivity of foreign investors to not divest their investment in our Treasury securities.”
“Add to that: Weak relationships with key Asian partners, a pricey but failed marketing effort and a proclivity for embarrassing verbal gaffes by Bartz.”
“The cynic in me emerged and I sent back the following reply: I highly recommend the short e-book, 'Three Cups of Deceit' by Jon Krakauer about Mortensen and his proclivity for self-aggrandizing fiction.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘proclivity’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Collected from reading
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
I enjoy collecting words, for I have no fear of them ever running out.
words that pique my interest either by meaning, pronunciation, or spelling, and words that otherwise tickle my fancy!!
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
unfathomably, glice, cuh, fab, ciggaty, doll, thuggin, oxymoronic, pineapple, succubutt, griming, cheeky and 3063 more...
for GRE ofcourse
Looking for tweets for proclivity.