American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A position from which things are considered or judged; a point of view.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The point at which one stands; especially, the position from which one's observations are taken and one's opinions formed or delivered; the point of view; the mental situation.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A fixed point or station; a basis or fundamental principle; a position from which objects or principles are viewed, and according to which they are compared and judged.
- n. a mental position from which things are viewed
- stand + point, a calque of German Standpunkt. Similar constructions used in other languages, such as Japanese 立場 (たちば, tachiba) meaning standing place. (Wiktionary)
- Translation of German Standpunkt. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“There was nothing similar from a new title standpoint to drive growth over those numbers," said Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo of America.”
“From a medium-term standpoint, that is about twelve-eighteen months, I am still positive on the markets.”
“A: From a medium-term standpoint, that is about twelve-eighteen months, I am still positive on the markets.”
“Another good book from a possible gaming standpoint is “House to House: An Epic Memoir of War” by SSG David Bellavia, about the nasty urban combat he was part of during the battle of Fallujah in 2004.”
“It bothered him, from the pain standpoint, scarcely at all, and it never entered his kinky head that his master did not know about it.”
“The only drawback from a taxpayer standpoint is that it would make it harder for the city to pay off the existing mortgage on the stadium, without hitting up property taxes even more heavily than it currently does for this purpose, because there would be only one team, not two.”
“The military uses them, and sees them in a military sense, as simply another air support weapons system, and target review from a legal standpoint is not different from any other calculus of a similar weapons system.”
“Perhaps the most important of these, from a commercial standpoint, is what policies China and the US will adopt.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘standpoint’.
Words that will come in handy for my senior thesis, which I am working on "as we speak."
describing what others think of an issue, topic, the world
Looking for tweets for standpoint.