from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A position from which things are considered or judged; a point of view.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Point of view; perspective
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A fixed point or station; a basis or fundamental principle; a position from which objects or principles are viewed, and according to which they are compared and judged.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The point at which one stands; especially, the position from which one's observations are taken and one's opinions formed or delivered; the point of view; the mental situation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a mental position from which things are viewed
Translation of German Standpunkt.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
stand + point, a calque of German Standpunkt. Similar constructions used in other languages, such as Japanese 立場 (たちば, tachiba) meaning standing place. (Wiktionary)