American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Insufficient to produce a desired effect: an ineffectual effort to block the legislation.
- adj. Useless; worthless: an ineffectual treatment for cancer.
- adj. Lacking forcefulness or effectiveness; weak: an ineffectual ruler.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not effectual; not producing or not able to produce the desired effect; of no efficacy; inefficient: as, an ineffectual remedy.
- Synonyms Fruitless, Unavailing, etc. See useless.
- adj. unable or insufficient to produce effect; futile
- adj. worthless
- adj. weak; lacking forcefulness
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Not producing the proper effect; without effect; inefficient; weak; useless; futile; unavailing.
- adj. lacking in power or forcefulness
- adj. producing no result or effect
- adj. not producing an intended effect
- in- "not" + effectual "having effect" (Wiktionary)
“Walter Bassett broke out in ineffectual protest, but was swiftly silenced by the threat of a lunacy commission.”
“Then when the Mexicans fired off a few rockets at us in ineffectual retaliation, with negligible damage to us, we would then have responded with a massive bombing campaign against Mexican civilian infrastructure, killing a hundred or more Mexicans to every one American killed.”
“Of course the RÃ©sistance was militarily ineffectual from a conventional standpoint: It was a guerrilla movement, with a large civil component that emphasised civil desobedience and sabotage.”
“Walter Bassett broke out in ineffectual protest, but was swiftly squelched by the threat of a lunacy commission.”
“Bassett broke out in ineffectual protest, but was swiftly squelched by the threat of a lunacy commission.”
“However, the being a little slow, a little ineffectual, is perhaps the least offensive fault she could have; and/some/fault, being human, she”
“The reason Batman does so as a vigilante is because the official channels were and are corrupt and ineffectual, which is another problem he's trying to fix so as to render himself unnecessary.”
“Fukuyama's solution...can better be described as ineffectual internationalism.”
“The C.C.R.B. is characterized as ineffectual even by its supporters — only 1 percent of the recent complaints have reportedly led to disciplinary action.”
“Yet, even while he was weighing all the chances, he smiled to himself as he recalled the ineffectual little whistle that had gone out on the whistling wind.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ineffectual’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
unexpected friend..., everyone is just ..., everyone has thei..., shared personalit..., hr process works, comparison, choose the best, making choices, big meet hangover, shyness, where to next, what to say next and 18 more...
Of low worth or little importance.
Unwanted matter by drusky is a nice, related list.
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
All my favourite words that I come across!
Vocabulary building for my quest of GRE 2013
the list of vocabularies from 1100 words you need to know Barron's.
Looking for tweets for ineffectual.