American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Dull, unimaginative, and commonplace.
- adj. Prim or pompous; stuffy: "Why is the middle-class so stodgy—so utterly without a sense of humor!” ( Katherine Mansfield). See Synonyms at dull.
- adj. Indigestible and starchy; heavy: stodgy food.
- adj. Solidly built; stocky.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Heavy; lumpy; distended.
- Crammed together roughly; lumpy; crude and indigestible.
- Wet; miry.
- Dull; stupid; crude; thickheaded: as, a stodgy way of looking at things.
- adj. of food having a thick, semi-solid consistency; glutinous; heavy on the stomach.
- adj. dull, old-fashioned
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Prov. Eng. Wet.
- adj. excessively conventional and unimaginative and hence dull
- adj. heavy and starchy and hard to digest
- adj. (used pejoratively) out of fashion; old fashioned
- Unknown, but possibly from stodge ("to stuff"), from stog, or a blend of stuffy and podgy. (Wiktionary)
- From stodge, thick filling food, from stodge, to cram. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“You can find great opportunities in stodgy old-fashioned blue-chip stocks.”
“But now, fully entrenched in stodgy-hearted adulthood, I'm more inclined toward The Power of More-Than-One, especially when the goal is to make a significant difference.”
“It is a known quantity, even if it was known as a stodgy company for a while.”
“It is by no accident that the British -- whom foreigners delight to call stodgy and slow-witted, -- have produced more high-class poetry than any other nation in the history of the world.”
“He could eat, really eat, if it was part of a game, but he could not stodge just to feel stodgy, which is what most children like better than anything else; the next best thing being to talk about it.”
“At all times reverent to more than twenty years of Mario platforming, NSMB Wii never feels tired, repetitive or stodgy, which is something of an achievement unto itself.”
“I know I was one, but I suspect that I have grown into the kind of stodgy adult who is going to have a real problem with crackly voices, "fur, where there was no fur before" and any kind of freak-outs that involve violation, destruction of premises or partial nudity.”
“The difference between the good and bad movie trailers of course is whether they act as an enticing, spicy appetiser; or as the kind of stodgy nibbles that spoil your appetite for the main course.”
“For them, Crossfire stands out for its narrative and visual style — clearly linked to Murder, My Sweet, the original Scott-Paxton-Dmytryk noir — which for them sets Crossfire definitely apart from a "stodgy" social problem film like The Best Years of Our Lives (though Gentleman's Agreement is probably the more appropriate comparison) .1”
“I still have my problems with most of Wallis's Paramount filmss, most of which -- even the good ones -- seem kind of stodgy compared to what he was doing at Warners.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘stodgy’.
Please contribute your favorite words from any of Gene Wolfe’s books to this prize-winning list.
In case you come across words in this list which are too commonplace to fit in, please ...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
WARNING: VERY EXPLICIT. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
funny derogatory names, quotes, phrases.
( open list, randomness, ad hom, ad hominem )
buttfucking quitter, dirty sanchez, donkey punch, falcon punch, assbadger, unicorn turd, assclown, fudgenut, quackery, friggin homo, buttmuncher, jackwagon and 274 more...
What a -Y does to an otherwise common, dull word
Busie old foole, unruly Sunne,..Sawcy pedantique wretch, goe chide Late schooleboyes.
Words found in the works of Ezra Pound
Words that are fun to say....
By David Foster Wallace
Words that I like.
Many may be lexicographically impotent due to a lack of citations and definition. Hopefully I'll be able to rectify this eventually.
Words as I learn them.
Words I should learn/I want to learn/I just learned, with a quotation to help the medicine go down.
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
Looking for tweets for stodgy.