American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Extremely cold. See Synonyms at cold.
- adj. Lacking warmth of feeling.
- adj. Stiff and formal in manner: a frigid refusal to a request.
- adj. Persistently averse to sexual intercourse.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Cold in temperature; wanting heat or warmth; icy; wintry: as, the frigid zone.
- Cold in temperament or feeling; wanting warmth of affection or of zeal; chilly in manner; impassive.
- Marked by or manifesting mental coldness; coldly formal or precise; lifeless; torpid; chilling; as, frigid devotions or services; frigid politeness or manners.
- Wanting generative heat or vigor; impotent.
- adj. Very cold; lacking warmth; icy.
- adj. Chilly in manner; lacking affection or zeal; impassive.
- adj. colloquial Sexually unresponsive, especially of a woman.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Cold; wanting heat or warmth; of low temperature.
- adj. Wanting warmth, fervor, ardor, fire, vivacity, etc.; unfeeling; forbidding in manner; dull and unanimated; stiff and formal
- adj. Wanting natural heat or vigor sufficient to excite the generative power; impotent.
- adj. sexually unresponsive
- adj. devoid of warmth and cordiality; expressive of unfriendliness or disdain
- adj. extremely cold
- From Latin frīgidus ("cold"), from frīgeō ("I am cold"), from frigus ("cold, coldness"), from Proto-Indo-European *sriges-, *sriHges-. (Wiktionary)
- Latin frīgidus, cold, from frīgus, the cold. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Unless, indeed, she happens to belong to the class of women whom we call frigid, that is, if she is herself devoid of any sexual desire and feels no need of any sexual relations.”
“James Henson, a Marietta, Ga. dentist, had his boat capsize in frigid water.”
“Phils edge Rox for 2-1 lead in frigid first-round series - USATODAY. com”
“Phils edge Rox for 2-1 lead in frigid first-round series”
“With a microphone submerged in frigid waters, composer Ryuichi Sakamoto captured whooshing currents, errant whale calls and crackling glaciers.”
“Temporary ice hotels materialize each winter in frigid northern towns from Russia to Canada.”
“For example, why would teenage mutant ninja turtles (nearly naked coldbloods) want to live in frigid New York?”
“Standard Poodles are fine French hunting dogs and their woolly coats are admirably adapted for hunting in frigid French winters.”
“After conference title games played in frigid conditions Sunday, record-breaking quarterback Tom Brady and the perfect New England Patriots will take on Eli (the other) Manning and the hot-at-the-right time New York Giants in a rematch in Super Bowl XLII in Glendale, Ariz.”
“I am not an eBay basher. eBay gave me the opportunity to make a living up here in frigid Maine by selling records and collectibles out of my home.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘frigid’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Loved for their ingenuity, an exact description, or simply for the pure joy of it.
My big word list.
she's such a joy.
A collection of words about doing the nasty.
Study list of difficult words from Daniel Woodrell's novel Winter's Bone. In reverse order: start at the bottom to see words from the beginning of the novel!
Looking for tweets for frigid.