from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Covered with or full of stones: a stony beach.
- adj. Resembling stone, as in hardness.
- adj. Hardhearted and unfeeling; unemotional.
- adj. Exhibiting no feeling or warmth; impassive: a stony expression.
- adj. Emotionally numbing or paralyzing: a stony feeling of fear.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. As hard as stone.
- adj. Containing or made up of stones.
- adj. Of a person, lacking warmth and emotion.
- adj. Of an action such as a look, showing no warmth of emotion.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to stone, consisting of, or abounding in, stone or stones; resembling stone; hard.
- adj. Converting into stone; petrifying; petrific.
- adj. Inflexible; cruel; unrelenting; pitiless; obdurate; perverse; cold; morally hard; appearing as if petrified.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Containing stones; abounding in stone.
- Made of stone; consisting of stone; rocky.
- Hard like stone, but not made of stone; stone-like.
- Specifically, in anatomy and zoology, very hard, like a stone; hard as a rock.
- Sclerodermic or madreporarian, as corals.
- Lithistidan, as sponges.
- Especially thick and hard, as some opercula of shells. See sea-bean, 3.
- Petrous or petrosal, as bone.
- Otolithic, as concretions in the car. See ear-bone, ear-stone, otolith.
- Turned to stone; petrified, as a fossil.
- Pertaining to or characteristic of stone: as, a stony quality or consistency.
- Rigid; fixed; hard, especially in a moral sense; hardened; obdurate.
- Painfully hard and cold; chilling; frigid; freezing.
- To stun.
- To astonish; confound.
- To be or become stunned or astounded.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. hard as granite
- adj. abounding in rocks or stones
- adj. showing unfeeling resistance to tender feelings
In the half-light his face was as still as a wax mannequins, his eyes unblinking, his expression stony.
"This next one is what we call a stony-iron meteorite."
That means a venue where the audience doesn't get the jokes and sits there in stony silence as the comedian at the mike goes through his routine.
Either you buy their Vaseline-lensed visions of the hereafter, or you watch in stony silence, as I did, wondering why there's no one to care about.
President Obama sat in stony silence, stared at Gibson and refused to answer.
The crowd of Republican delegates, who had been quite generous with their applause up until that point, sat there in stony silence.
Those "sitting on their hands in stony silence" were the minority who, while they may not have agreed with the party in power, were grownups with the decorum and decency to respect the office of the president.
If you believe in stony men they'll skewer your smile.
I guess the idiots who use the Better Joy Cookbook just cook and eat in stony silence, never saying a word or even looking each other in the eye.
I see a government that sits at the top in stony silence.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.