from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Covered with or full of stones: a stony beach.
- adj. Resembling stone, as in hardness.
- adj. Hardhearted and unfeeling; unemotional.
- adj. Exhibiting no feeling or warmth; impassive: a stony expression.
- adj. Emotionally numbing or paralyzing: a stony feeling of fear.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. As hard as stone.
- adj. Containing or made up of stones.
- adj. Of a person, lacking warmth and emotion.
- adj. Of an action such as a look, showing no warmth of emotion.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to stone, consisting of, or abounding in, stone or stones; resembling stone; hard.
- adj. Converting into stone; petrifying; petrific.
- adj. Inflexible; cruel; unrelenting; pitiless; obdurate; perverse; cold; morally hard; appearing as if petrified.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Containing stones; abounding in stone.
- Made of stone; consisting of stone; rocky.
- Hard like stone, but not made of stone; stone-like.
- Specifically, in anatomy and zoology, very hard, like a stone; hard as a rock.
- Sclerodermic or madreporarian, as corals.
- Lithistidan, as sponges.
- Especially thick and hard, as some opercula of shells. See sea-bean, 3.
- Petrous or petrosal, as bone.
- Otolithic, as concretions in the car. See ear-bone, ear-stone, otolith.
- Turned to stone; petrified, as a fossil.
- Pertaining to or characteristic of stone: as, a stony quality or consistency.
- Rigid; fixed; hard, especially in a moral sense; hardened; obdurate.
- Painfully hard and cold; chilling; frigid; freezing.
- To stun.
- To astonish; confound.
- To be or become stunned or astounded.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. hard as granite
- adj. abounding in rocks or stones
- adj. showing unfeeling resistance to tender feelings
stone + -y (Wiktionary)