from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or containing porphyry.
- adj. Containing relatively large isolated crystals in a mass of fine texture.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of or pertaining to porphyry
- adj. containing large crystals in a fine mass of material
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Relating to, or resembling, porphyry, that is, characterized by the presence of distinct crystals, as of feldspar, quartz, or augite, in a relatively fine-grained base, often aphanitic or cryptocrystalline.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Containing or resembling porphyry; composed of a compact homogeneous rock in which distinct crystals or grains of feldspar or some other minerals are embedded: as, porphyritic granite. Also porphyraceous, and sometimes, incorrectly, porphyroid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of rocks) consisting of porphyry or containing large crystals in a fine groundmass of minerals
Sorry, no etymologies found.