from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Possessing the reproductive organs of both genders.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Partaking of the characteristics of both sexes; having male and female reproductive organs in the same plant or animal; characterized by hermaphroditism. Opposite of
- adj. having pistils and stamens in the same flower. Opposite of
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Affected, with or pertaining to hermaphroditism; having the character of a hermaphrodite; being of both sexes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to monoclinous plants
- adj. of animal or plant; having both male female reproductive organs
Sorry, no etymologies found.
She discusses how cases out on the margins of our binary labels, such as hermaphroditic children, show the absurdities of our cultural constructions.
In assorted prose fragments on natural history and the Linnaean system he composed between 1823 and 1825, Clare compares Linnaean claims about female flowers to what he sees in plants and trees and concludes that some trees are "hermaphroditic," and thus do not propagate exclusively by way of a female reproductive organ (Clare Natural History 101-2, 108).
He's also over 30 and hermaphroditic which is so fucking rare I feel the need to mention it.
Many of the paintings depict naked hermaphroditic girls, which at first glance makes their beauty disturbing.
When did we on the left forget how to fight back in dark alleys and call our enemies what they are: degenerate psychopaths who wear women's corsets, have smelly feet and hermaphroditic tendencies?
Are we supposed to suspect that these races are hermaphroditic or reproduce by budding?
When he was drafting the amendment, Chisum undoubtedly would have never imagined a world in which a hermaphroditic person made surgically male might actually feel female and also be attracted to that gender.
In the imagination, we can surely be as hermaphroditic as the seer Tiresias, whom the Greek gods turned into a woman for seven years.
Until he snarled, his lips looked like a painting of a black clad Asian hermaphroditic angel in the Renaissance would have looked.
I spend most of my research time studying hermaphroditic gastropods, that is, snails that have both male and female organs.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.