American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the Hamites or their languages or cultures.
- n. A presumed language family formerly thought to include Egyptian and the Berber, Cushitic, and Chadic languages.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to Ham, one of the sons of Noah (Gen. x.), or to any of the races considered to be his descendants. The Hamitic tongues are a class of African languages, comprising the ancient Egyptian of the hieroglyphs and the later Egyptian or Coptic, and the non-Semitic languages of Abyssinia and the regions further south, including the Galla and the Libyan or Berber, to which some authorities add the Hottentot. They are believed by many to have more or less distant affinities with the Semitic family.
- adj. of or pertaining to the Hamites or to the Hamitic languages
- n. A group of languages spoken in Egypt and neighbouring countries
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Pertaining to Ham or his descendants.
- n. a group of languages in northern Africa related to Semitic
“Asians and Africans were classified as Hamitic, Arabs and Jews as Shemitic, and Caucasians as Japhethitic.”
“I do not propose to embark at this late hour on what ethnologists know as the "Hamitic" problem.”
“The Bantus are capable of a considerable degree of civilization, and their mental and moral qualities are higher than those of any negro race "The Uganda protectorate By Harry Hamilton Johnston: books. google.com The fifth and last amongst these main stocks is the Hamitic, which is negroid rather than Negro.”
“Hamitic ethnically, the Copts are distant cousins of the Berbers in North Africa.”
“When Andrew Sullivan first linked to their post on Obama and the Hamitic curse, I thought that "Baptists for Brownback" might be serious.”
“Ishmael then subsequently married Egyptian (Hamitic) women, who gave birth to children who were only 1/4 Semitic.”
“The end result is a Hamitic people with less than a drop of Semitic blood in their veins calling themselves Semites just because they happen to speak a Semitic language.”
“Congo, Democratic Republic of theover 200 African ethnic groups of which the majority are Bantu; the four largest tribes - Mongo, Luba, Kongo (all Bantu), and the Mangbetu-Azande (Hamitic) make up about 45% of the population”
“RwandaHutu (Bantu) 84%, Tutsi (Hamitic) 15%, Twa (Pygmy) 1%”
“Ethnic groups: over 200 African ethnic groups of which the majority are Bantu; the four largest tribes - Mongo, Luba, Kongo (all Bantu), and the Mangbetu-Azande (Hamitic) make up about 45% of the population”
‘Hamitic’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Hamitic.