from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Containing or composed of flint.
- adj. Unyielding; stern: a flinty manner.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Resembling or containing flint.
- adj. Showing a lack of emotion.
- adj. Having a taste characteristic of certain white wines, especially Chablis, supposed to evoke the sensation of flint striking steel.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Consisting of, composed of, abounding in, or resembling, flint
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of the nature of flint; abounding in flint, or having a flint-like quality: as, a flinty rock; a flinty fracture; flinty ground.
- Figuratively, hard as flint; obdurate; cruel; unmerciful: as, a flinty heart.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. containing flint
- adj. showing unfeeling resistance to tender feelings
He jerked his head at Helen as he passed the Cells office on his way out, his expression flinty; Helen scrambled to keep up as he strode away.
He used one of his favorite terms -- "flinty" -- to describe Mr. Simpson.
"I have the tenacity of a Dagny Taggart," says Mr. Aglialoro, referring to the flinty heroine of "Atlas Shrugged."
Expression flinty, Carmine stared at an unrepentant Helen MacIntosh as she sat on the opposite side of the kitchen table he preferred to a desk, with its drawers, kneeholes, modesty panels and nice wood tops.
Roberts describes both men with evident admiration as gentlemen - Marshall is "steely", Brooke "flinty" - able to work with one another despite their differences.
Obama singled out Simpson, a longtime advocate of fiscal discipline, as being "flinty" or unyielding.
"If you look in the dictionary, it says 'flinty' and then it's got Simpson's picture," the president said.
Bush and Truman share a kind of flinty self-reliance: just as Bush likes to call himself "the decider," Truman liked to say "The buck stops here."
"The house white is kind of flinty and I think it goes with everything myself."
The outer surfaces of the outer sheets are prepared with a kind of flinty coating, which gives sharpness to the outline of the various coloured devices.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.