American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Forming or consisting of wood; ligneous: woody tissue.
- adj. Marked by the presence of wood or xylem: woody plants.
- adj. Characteristic or suggestive of wood: a woody smell.
- adj. Abounding in trees; wooded.
- n. A station wagon with exterior wood paneling.
- n. Vulgar Slang An erection of the penis.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Abounding with wood; wooded: as, woody land; a woody region.
- Pertaining or belonging to the woods; dwelling or situated in the woods; peculiar to a wood or forest; sylvan; woodland; woodsy.
- Consisting of or containing wood; ligneous: as, the woody parts of plants.
- Peculiar to or characteristic of wood: as, a woody scent or flavor.
- adj. Covered in woods; wooded.
- adj. obsolete Belonging to the woods; sylvan.
- adj. Made of wood, or having wood-like properties.
- adj. botany Non-herbaceous.
- adj. botany Lignified: "the woody parts of a plant".
- n. A station wagon that has a retro wooden exterior, often associated with Southern California surfing culture.
- n. informal an erection.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Abounding with wood or woods.
- adj. Consisting of, or containing, wood or woody fiber; ligneous.
- adj. rare Of or pertaining to woods; sylvan.
- adj. made hard like wood as the result of the deposition of lignin in the cell walls
- adj. made of or containing or resembling wood
- adj. abounding in trees
- wood + -y (Wiktionary)
“The stem, while woody, is thin enough that I think in the spring when it goes back outside, I can stake it up so that it has a mini-standard form.”
“This looks good. mangoshakes woody is da man. slash i'm hoping the first time he fights elias, elias kicks his butt and runs away leaving defendor to scream "DAAAAAAAMN”
“My personal big woody is how medical advances over the next century will becme what we would consider today to be absolute magic.”
“Found in woody areas, this pitcher-shaped wild flower develops a stalk with a cluster of seeds at the top.”
“May 27th, 2008 4: 58 pm ET and "creative woody" is an idiot. "2025 is what is needed in January".”
“His best trick was to go after a bug on the end of a thin woody vine dangling from a locust tree.”
“October 31, 2008 at 11: 35 AM try again woody, that's Wolf's wife, doing what everyone should have done .... walking away.”
“The yellow guy's woody is not letting you get through.”
“BILL: A short, square shape protects a bait's hooks from snags in woody cover.”
“I’m sure we’ll talk about them next year in woody plant class.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘woody’.
In this area of expertise nouns are frequently used as adjectives (almond, bacon, cider, diesel, fennel, fresh-cut hay, wool) or new adjectives are formed (appley, berrylike, citrusy, full-bodied, ...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
The many textures of touch.
This list seeks to address a pet annoyance of mine. It occurs when chefs, food critics and travel writers, usually on television, taste something that looks either delicious or unusual and then in...
Words that have been used as baby names, including virtue names, nature names, place names, etc.
The title is an actual name given to a Puritan boy in the 17th century.
Recalling words from Botany 3something--Taxonomy
Looking for tweets for woody.